The motherboard is the main circuit board of your computer and is also known as the mainboard or logic board. … Basically, the motherboard is what makes everything in your computer work together. Each motherboard has a collection of chips and controllers known as the chipset.
- 1 What is the motherboard easy definition?
- 2 Why is it called motherboard?
- 3 What is motherboard and its functions?
- 4 What is motherboard and types?
- 5 What are the types of motherboard?
- 6 Why is motherboard so important?
- 7 Who is the father of motherboard?
- 8 Which type of motherboard is the best?
- 9 How much does a motherboard cost?
- 10 What are the 3 most important parts of a motherboard?
- 11 What are the motherboard components?
- 12 Is motherboard a hardware?
What is the motherboard easy definition?
A motherboard (also called mainboard, main circuit board, system board, baseboard, planar board, logic board, or mobo) is the main printed circuit board (PCB) in general-purpose computers and other expandable systems.
Why is it called motherboard?
3 Answers. It’s called a motherboard because it is the main circuit board in the computer, and it can be extended by plugging other circuit boards into it. … Wikipedia suggests that historically a «mainboard» was not extensible in this way, hence the need for different terminology.
What is motherboard and its functions?
The motherboard serves as a single platform to connect all of the parts of a computer together. It connects the CPU, memory, hard drives, optical drives, video card, sound card, and other ports and expansion cards directly or via cables. It can be considered as the backbone of a computer.
What is motherboard and types?
Motherboards come in different sizes, known as form factors. The most common motherboard form factor is ATX. The different types of ATX are known as micro-ATX (sometimes shown as µATX, mini-ATX, FlexATX, EATX, WATX, nano-ATX, pico-ATX, and mobileATX).
What are the types of motherboard?
Below are the six different types of Motherboards:
- AT Motherboard. These motherboards have bigger physical dimensions of hundreds of millimeters and hence they are not the right fit for the mini desktop category of computers. …
- ATX Motherboard. …
- LPX Motherboard. …
- BTX Motherboard. …
- Pico BTX motherboard. …
- Mini ITX motherboard.
Why is motherboard so important?
A motherboard, also known as the «main board,» is the central circuit hub that allows connection between all components and peripherals attached to the computer. It also allows all the components such as CPU, graphics card, hard drive and the memory to receive power from the attached power supply.
Who is the father of motherboard?
The first motherboard (then called a planar or a «breadboard») was invented by IBM and sold on its first personal computer (PC) in 1981. IBM…
Which type of motherboard is the best?
- Asus ROG Maximus XII HERO. Best Intel Motherboard. …
- MSI MEG Z490 Godlike. Best high-end Intel motherboard. …
- GIGABYTE Z490 Gaming X. Best budget Intel motherboard. …
- MSI MPG Z390M Gaming Edge AC. …
- Asus ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming. …
- ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X. …
- Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master. …
- Asus ROG Strix B550-E Gaming.
How much does a motherboard cost?
We found this “Ask a Geek” article from a year and a half ago that says you should expect to pay anywhere from $250 to $500 for a new motherboard, but that’s including the cost of the motherboard, a new operating system license to replace the one your computer came with (which likely is not licensed to work on the new …
What are the 3 most important parts of a motherboard?
These key components include the CPU itself, the main memory, the secondary cache, and any devices situated on the buses. A chipset also controls data flow to and from hard disks and other devices connected to the IDE channels.
What are the motherboard components?
A motherboard is also known as the system board or the main board. The motherboard accommodates the central processing unit (CPU), random access memory (RAM), expansion slots, heat sink and fan assembly, basic input/output system (BIOS) chip, chipset, and the circuitry that interconnects the motherboard components.
Is motherboard a hardware?
Computer hardware includes the physical parts of a computer, such as the case, central processing unit (CPU), monitor, mouse, keyboard, computer data storage, graphics card, sound card, speakers and motherboard. By contrast, software is the set of instructions that can be stored and run by hardware.