Both can pass multi-channel audio, like Dolby Digital. Both cables can be had pretty cheap. The biggest difference is that HDMI can pass higher-resolution audio, including the formats found on Blu-ray: Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio. These formats can’t get transmitted across optical.
- 1 Can I use both HDMI and optical?
- 2 What is the best connection for a soundbar?
- 3 Do optical audio cables really make a difference?
- 4 Do you need a digital optical cable with HDMI?
- 5 Is HDMI sound better than optical?
- 6 Which is better PCM or Dolby Digital?
- 7 Is Digital Optical better than Bluetooth?
- 8 What is the best way to connect a soundbar to TV?
- 9 Is Optical better than arc?
- 10 Is USB audio better than optical?
- 11 Are thicker optical cables better?
- 12 Is digital coaxial better than optical?
- 13 How do I connect my digital optical audio cable to my home theater?
- 14 What does a digital optical cable do?
- 15 How do I know if my HDMI cable is ARC?
Can I use both HDMI and optical?
You can have video from HDMI at the TV’s resolution, and have audio coming from your receiver via optical, which is what I did, or you can have both audio and video going straight to your television, but you can’t have both.
What is the best connection for a soundbar?
It’s better to connect your soundbar with an HDMI cable because it provides better quality sound. While HDMI and optical connections both pass digital audio from one device to the other, HDMI is capable of handling higher-resolution audio.
Do optical audio cables really make a difference?
If you’re transmitting PCM, the audiophile answer is that different optical cables can cause different amounts of jitter. The reality is, the digital-to-analog converter in your gear has vastly more effect on the sound. Could a «better» optical cable result in audibly better PCM sound? Doubtful.
Do you need a digital optical cable with HDMI?
A common question that gets asked is, «Do I need optical audio if I have HDMI?» If your AV equipment has an HDMI port, then in most cases it would be best to transfer the audio signals via HDMI. This is because HDMI supports all types of audio signals and you can send all the video and audio signals via one cable.
Is HDMI sound better than optical?
The biggest difference is that HDMI can pass higher-resolution audio, including the formats found on Blu-ray: Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio. These formats can’t get transmitted across optical. In terms of simplicity, HDMI also passes video signals.
Which is better PCM or Dolby Digital?
Distinguished Member. Dolby Digital is compressed so PCM is better. Dolby True HD, DTS HD MA, Atmos and DTS X are also lossless, so should be similar quality to PCM. If the source audio is stereo, it should only be coming from your front left and right speakers unless you use an up mixer.
Is Digital Optical better than Bluetooth?
So yes, compared to Bluetooth specs to date, the optical will be of better quality. Neither will be as good as HDMI cable, which allows eight channels at 192kHz sampling and 24-bits/sample to be transferred, uncompressed.
What is the best way to connect a soundbar to TV?
- Connect one end of the HDMI cable (sold separately) to the HDMI IN port on your TV.
- Connect the other end to the TV OUT (ARC) port on your sound bar.
- Then, connect an optical audio cable from the TV’s Optical digital audio out to OPTICAL IN on your sound bar (this is necessary to hear the TV audio).
3 дек. 2020 г.
Is Optical better than arc?
HDMI ARC and optical cables both share the same purpose.
They both transmit multi-channel audio from one device to another. So far, so good. The only significant difference in terms of function is that an optical cable won’t transmit video.
Is USB audio better than optical?
Both will work fine, but optical has some major benefits over USB that just pushes it into first place. Not being affected by electrical and radio interference is a major advantage to me in the audio world. Personally I always use optical audio when possible.
Are thicker optical cables better?
So, are thicker optical cables better? Yes, thicker optical cables are more flexible, with a higher tensile strength than copper or steel fibers, low power loss, and has a much greater bandwidth.
Is digital coaxial better than optical?
And, in our experience, compared to optical, a coaxial connection does tend to sound better. That’s because it has greater bandwidth available, meaning it can support higher quality audio up to 24-bit/192kHz. Optical is usually restricted to 96kHz.
How do I connect my digital optical audio cable to my home theater?
Go to Parts and Accessories.
- Connect a Coaxial Digital Cable, Optical Digital Cable, or Audio cable to the Audio Output jack on your TV.
- Connect the other end of the cable to the corresponding jacks on the A/V receiver or home theater system. …
- Turn on your TV.
5 янв. 2021 г.
What does a digital optical cable do?
A digital optical cable is used to transfer data, usually audio or video, from one source to another. Digital optical cables are typically more expensive than other types of cables, such as coaxial or composite, but are much more effective at reproducing a signal through the transfer.
How do I know if my HDMI cable is ARC?
Can you use ARC? Check the HDMI connections on the back of your TV, sound bar, or receiver. If the HDMI port has ARC, it should be marked as such. Both your TV and the sound bar/receiver must have ARC for it to work.