There are two main types of sockets: impact and hand. Sockets are referred by their number of “points” for the pointed intersections of their multi-faceted interior sides. Common designs include : 6 point, hexagon, for hexagonal nuts.
- 1 What are the different types of sockets?
- 2 How many sockets are there?
- 3 What are 8 point sockets used for?
- 4 What are 12 point sockets good for?
- 5 Is a 6 point or 12 point socket better?
- 6 How do I choose a socket set?
- 7 Is 24mm and 15 16 the same?
- 8 Do you really need deep sockets?
- 9 What is bigger than a 1/2 inch socket?
- 10 Are 12 point sockets bad?
- 11 Why are impact sockets black?
- 12 Will a 12 point socket work on a square nut?
- 13 What are the best sockets to buy?
- 14 What are the most common sockets?
- 15 Are anti slip wrenches worth it?
What are the different types of sockets?
All About Sockets: Types of Sockets
- What are the different types of sockets?
- Hex sockets. A “hex” socket—short for “hexagonal”—is a socket that fits around a hexagonal (six sided) nut or bolt head. …
- Impact Sockets. …
- Spark Plug Sockets. …
- Socket Bits. …
- Pass Through Sockets. …
- Universal Joint. …
- A Note about Ratchets.
1 июл. 2016 г.
How many sockets are there?
Six Point Standard Sockets (5/16, 11/32, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, 3/4, 13/16) Six Point Metric Sockets (8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21) Six Point Metric Deep Sockets (8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)
What are 8 point sockets used for?
What is an 8 point socket used for? Our range of 8 point sockets are perfect for use on our range of Pyramid Head Door Screws, Lag Bolts and Square Headed Machine Bolts. 8 point sockets take away the need for the use of a shifter and will stop you rounding off the head of a square bolt.
What are 12 point sockets good for?
The additional points make these sockets easier to connect with the heads of fasteners. This is ideal if you are trying to work on a fastener that is hard to see or you cannot see at all. 12 point sockets are also great for use in tight spaces as they allow you to connect to a fastener at more angles.
Is a 6 point or 12 point socket better?
Answer: It’s true that 12-point sockets are fine for most lightweight repairs, but heavy wrenching calls for a six-point socket. A six-point socket is much less likely to slip off a stubborn fastener or round over the corners. Here’s why: (1) Six-point sockets have thicker walls, so they’re less likely to flew.
How do I choose a socket set?
List of Free Tips to Choose the Right Socket Set
- #1)Metric, SAE and Inches. …
- #2)Drive size of the socket set. …
- #3)Points of Socket Set. …
- #4)Shallow vs. …
- #5)Finish of the socket set. …
- #6)Impact sockets.
14 апр. 2020 г.
Is 24mm and 15 16 the same?
20mm = 25/32 inch. 21mm = just over 13/16 inch. … 23mm = 29/32 inch. 24mm = just over 15/16 inch.
Do you really need deep sockets?
Deep sockets are better for specific jobs instead of general use. If you have bolted joints, they make a much better option for your socket wrench than shallow sockets. … Because the length of the bolt means the nut will need to go further into the socket, deep sockets are a much better choice.
What is bigger than a 1/2 inch socket?
Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) measurement
3/8 in, 7/16 in, 1/2 in, 9/16 in, 5/8 in, 11/16 in, 3/4 in, 13/16 in, 7/8 in, 15/16 in, 1 in, 1-1/16 in, 1-1/8 in, 1-3/16 in, 1-1/4 in.
Are 12 point sockets bad?
A 12 point socket on a 6 point fastener is significantly more prone to fail. … There are a few 12 point fasteners in use but they are very rare and when it’s necessary to use a breaker bar in a confined area the 12 point can be necessary. A DIYer would rarely need them though.
Why are impact sockets black?
Impact sockets are typically black. This is because the surface is carbonized in order for it to harden. Ensuring that the surface is hard allows the sockets to absorb sudden torque changes i.e. “impact” a lot better.
Will a 12 point socket work on a square nut?
A 12-point socket can be used on a square nut if it happens to fit close enough. The teeth of the socket do not match the angle of the corners of the nut, but often will get the job done.
What are the best sockets to buy?
The 7 Best Socket Sets of 2021
- Best Overall: Sunex Tools 3342 3/8-Inch Drive Master Impact Socket Set at Amazon. …
- Best Budget: Stanley 92-804 30 Piece Socket Set at Amazon. …
- Best Torx Bit: Neiko Master Torx Bit and External Torx Socket Set at Amazon. …
- Best Portable: …
- Best Complete Package: …
- Best Professional Grade: …
- Best for Spark Plugs:
1 февр. 2021 г.
What are the most common sockets?
Here’s a breakdown of the most common socket types you’ll find and when you’ll likely use them:
- SAE sockets. Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) sockets are designed to help you work on American-made vehicles. …
- Metric sockets. …
- Torx bit sockets. …
- Impact sockets. …
- Driver sockets. …
- Pass-through sockets. …
- Spark plug sockets.
Are anti slip wrenches worth it?
Anti-slip wrenches are great for working on stuff that the extra grip can be helpful with, especially rusty fasteners. If you’re working with stainless or brass or any other soft materials, they will get marred up by the teeth.