Its not a requirement to have it installed, but as noted, some web pages utilize it for streaming multimedia content. I believe the last Olympics which MSNBC had exclusive rights to stream on the web, required Silverlight. Its what you call a Rich Internet Application, similar to Adobe Flash.
- 1 Is it OK to uninstall Microsoft Silverlight?
- 2 Is Microsoft Silverlight required?
- 3 Should I install Silverlight?
- 4 What is Microsoft Silverlight used for and do I need it?
- 5 What unnecessary programs can I delete?
- 6 What is the purpose of Microsoft Silverlight?
- 7 Is Microsoft Silverlight safe?
- 8 Does Netflix use Silverlight?
- 9 Is Silverlight dead?
- 10 How do I get Silverlight to work?
- 11 Does Silverlight work in Chrome?
- 12 How do I test if Silverlight is working?
- 13 Is Microsoft Silverlight free?
- 14 What is replacing Silverlight?
- 15 Do I need Adobe Flashplayer?
Is it OK to uninstall Microsoft Silverlight?
As under 0.1% of sites use Silverlight, you’re unlikely to come across any pages that require you to use it. Feel free to uninstall it, as the modern web is mostly leaving plugins like this behind.
Is Microsoft Silverlight required?
Thanks for your feedback. Its not a requirement to have it installed, but, some web pages utilize it for streaming multimedia content. Silverlight is Microsoft’s competitive answer to Adobe’s Flash, the long-standing dominant standard for multimedia Web applications.
Should I install Silverlight?
But does that mean they should? Silverlight requires Microsoft’s . NET Framework, another optional Windows component. . NET is probably going to become the prevailing standard under which new Windows applications are developed, so eventually you will need to install it.
What is Microsoft Silverlight used for and do I need it?
Like Flash, Silverlight is an all-purpose plugin for streaming videos, livestreams, animations, and vibrant graphics to devices. However, it relies heavily on Microsoft’s XAML — a text-based markup language — for the user interface, animations, and vector graphics. It’s also based on Microsoft’s .
What unnecessary programs can I delete?
12 Unnecessary Windows Programs and Apps You Should Uninstall
- CCleaner. CCleaner was once a trusted Windows app for cleaning junk, but its reputation went downhill after it was acquired by Avast. …
- Crappy PC Cleaners. …
- uTorrent. …
- Adobe Flash Player and Shockwave Player. …
- Java. …
- Microsoft Silverlight. …
- All Toolbars and Junk Browser Extensions.
3 мар. 2021 г.
What is the purpose of Microsoft Silverlight?
Microsoft Silverlight is a free web-browser plug-in that enables interactive media experiences, rich business applications and immersive mobile apps. Windows?
Is Microsoft Silverlight safe?
Leo says Silverlight is safe, it’s made by Microsoft and is pretty much a Flash equivalent. Firefox does block outdated versions of Silverlight, and shows the warning that Jane was referring to.
Does Netflix use Silverlight?
Silverlight, which was developed by Microsoft, was meant to offer media streaming in the browser. … For consumers, all of this means that their Netflix streams will continue to work on Chrome even after January 1. All they need to do is keep their Chrome browser up to date.
Is Silverlight dead?
In 2012, Microsoft deprecated Silverlight for HTML5 in Windows 8, but as late as the beginning of 2015, it was not clear what Microsoft’s official position was on the future of Silverlight as a technology. … Microsoft plans to terminate Silverlight support on October 12, 2021.
How do I get Silverlight to work?
Ensure the Silverlight Add-on is Enabled
- Press the Alt key on the keyboard.
- Select the Tools menu at the top of the browser window.
- Select Manage Add-ons.
- From Add-on Types, select Toolbars and Extensions.
- Select All Add-ons from the drop-down menu.
- Select Microsoft Silverlight.
Does Silverlight work in Chrome?
On Chrome version 45 or a later version of Chrome, there is no workaround for this issue. You must use a browser that supports Silverlight content to access a Silverlight page. … On the address bar in Chrome, type chrome://flags/#enable-npapi . In the Enable NPAPI Mac, Windows box, click Enable.
How do I test if Silverlight is working?
How Can I Test That Silverlight Is Working?
- Open a Web browser supported by Silverlight, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox or Chrome.
- Visit the Silverlight Project Test Page.
- Watch the page. If it loads a Silverlight application, then Silverlight is working properly on your computer.
Is Microsoft Silverlight free?
Silverlight is a free plug-in, powered by the . NET framework and compatible with multiple browsers, devices and operating systems, bringing a new level of interactivity wherever the Web works.
What is replacing Silverlight?
Microsoft recommends desktop app developers to use UWP or WPF on . NET Core for Silverlight. For web developers, Microsoft has now released a new framework called Blazor WebAssembly.
Do I need Adobe Flashplayer?
Adobe no longer supports Adobe Flash Player as of December 31, 2020. We recommend that you uninstall it. Whenever you use the Internet, your browser uses small applications called plug-ins to display certain types of content. … Some mobile browsers, including Safari for iOS, can’t even use Flash Player.