If you followed the steps in the Support Article, you are good to go. Apple Base System contains no personal info and is default on any Mac. Don’t try to delete it, it is part of the normal install process and will show up only when booted into Recovery.
- 1 Is it OK to delete disk images?
- 2 What is the Apple Disk Image Media?
- 3 How do I delete Apple disk image?
- 4 Can I erase Apple SSD SM0128G media?
- 5 Can I delete .ZIP files?
- 6 Can I delete .PKG files?
- 7 How do I delete a disk image?
- 8 Should I erase Macintosh HD data?
- 9 How does a disk image work?
- 10 How do I delete a disk image on Mac?
- 11 Why won’t my Mac let me erase the hard drive?
- 12 How do I wipe my Mac and reinstall?
- 13 Should I erase Apple SSD media?
- 14 What happens if you erase Apple SSD?
- 15 Can you securely erase SSD?
Is it OK to delete disk images?
A disk image file (. dmg) is simply an easy, portable structure to transfer an app to you without falling afoul of any internet ‘oddities’ such as compression, splitting etc. … In this case, put the dmg in the trash but don’t empty it. Reboot and if you can run the app, it’s safe to empty the trash.
What is the Apple Disk Image Media?
Apple Disk Image is a disk image format commonly used by the macOS operating system. When opened, an Apple Disk Image is mounted as a volume within the Macintosh Finder.
How do I delete Apple disk image?
How to Wipe a Mac Hard Disk Drive (HDD)
- Make sure your Mac is turned off.
- Press the power button.
- Immediately hold down the command and R keys.
- Wait until the Apple logo appears.
- Select “Disk Utility” from the OS X Utilities list. …
- Select the disk you’d like to erase by clicking on it in the sidebar.
Can I erase Apple SSD SM0128G media?
Answer: A: Answer: A: You should boot into Intnernet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R. In Internet Recovery Mode, you can then use Disk Utility to erase the physical drive (Apple SSD SM0128G).
Can I delete .ZIP files?
You can safely delete the zip file and the files that were extracted will remain on your computer. You can see this for yourself by first making a copy of the zip file, then extracting the files. Then delete the zip file itself. Your files will remain.
Can I delete .PKG files?
Yes, unless you want to save it incase your internal HD erases (has happened to me… 3 times). But yes, once installed you can go ahead and delete the . PKG file.
How do I delete a disk image?
For example, right-click on the disk image and select the Move to Trash option and then empty the trash.
Should I erase Macintosh HD data?
Sadly, that’s wrong and will fail. To perform a clean re-install in Catalina, once in Recovery Mode, you need to delete your Data volume, that’s the one named Macintosh HD — Data , or something similar if you’re using a custom name, and to erase your System volume.
How does a disk image work?
A disk image is a copy of the entire contents of a storage device, such as a hard drive, DVD, or CD. The disk image represents the content exactly as it is on the original storage device, including both data and structure information. A disk image of a hard drive may be saved as a virtual hard disk (VHD).
How do I delete a disk image on Mac?
How to Delete a Disk Image from Mac
- Drag any files out of the disk image and drop them into your Applications folder.
- Close the program that was inside of the disk image if you had it open.
- Highlight the disk image folder by clicking it with your mouse once.
- Drag the disk image folder to the Trash in the lower right hand corner of your Dock.
Why won’t my Mac let me erase the hard drive?
It’s not usually possible to erase the startup disk because your Mac is using it to run macOS. Recovery Mode is a special partition on your Mac you can use to restore from a backup, reinstall macOS, get online support, or erase your startup disk. You should back up your Mac before trying to erase or reformat it.
How do I wipe my Mac and reinstall?
Select your startup disk on the left, then click Erase. Click the Format pop-up menu (APFS should be selected), enter a name, then click Erase. After the disk is erased, choose Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility. In the Recovery app window, select “Reinstall macOS,” click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions.
Should I erase Apple SSD media?
Yes, «Apple SSD SM0128G Media» is exactly correct. That will reset your drive, to a single partition. When you then proceed with reinstalling macOS, the drive will then be reformatted to the APFS format.
What happens if you erase Apple SSD?
Encrypting a SSD with any kind of suitably secure key, and then erasing that key, makes it virtually impossible to recover any data. This can be done, on a Mac, by enabling FileVault, booting into recovery mode, unlocking and then deleting the drive with Disk Utility.
Can you securely erase SSD?
In order to securely erase data from an SSD, you’ll need to go through a process called “Secure Erase” using either your BIOS or some form of SSD management software.